Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I once was lost, but now I'm found . . .

In the beginning everything was dark. I was alone inside this vast blackness and was filled with pain and fear. I had no idea what had happened to me or how to resolve it. I was truly and utterly lost.
At times however, small flickers of light would pierce this void giving me direction and hope. And so I just kept stumbling forward . . .
In time I realized that each of these tiny pinpoints of light were gifts . . . pieces of the puzzle I was trying to reconstruct.  The picture was different though than I had remembered and very confusing . . . some of the pieces did not fit . . . many were and are still missing.  But each was a unique light that helped me make my way through the darkness . . . the doctor with the expertise and willingness to help me . . . knowledge and passion in areas never before considered . . . awareness and insight of my life's purpose . . . deeper commitment to those I love . . .

Of all the precious gifts I received, the most profound has been developing a relationship with God.  I have always had the kind of faith that tends to wax and wane with the seasons of ones life, but I have never felt His presence more personally than in these last few challenging years.  When I was dying in the chamber, I found myself cradled in a tenderness that would not let me go.  When I could not get medical help after returning to the states, I found just enough strength to keep searching.  When I had no clue or direction, I found just enough light and courage to persist.  God helped me discover that without a doubt there was a purpose for my life that I had not yet found . . . a reason that I had lived.  He opened my eyes and saved me from myself.  And that is the motivation for this journey.

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost, but now I'm found . . .
was blind but now I see!"    

No comments:

Post a Comment