Saturday, July 16, 2011

The hardest thing of all . . .

" . . . that something is difficult must be one more reason for us to do it." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Since arriving in Honduras I have face an endless series of challenges that have tested me physically, mentally, and emotionally.  Ingraining dive physics with compromised short term memory capabilities was excruciating, but I managed a 92% on my final written exam. Towing a 200 pound man 100 meters through rough and breaking seas in under 3 minutes forced me to face the limits of my endurance, yet I succeeded.  Assisting with surgeries in a brutally hot vet clinic for hours on end with no experience and no one that spoke English, beyond words.  So many unbelievable, life enhancing experiences and resultant victories against incredible odds builds strength, confidence and conviction.  And yet, what is it that never fails to bring me to my knees?  What is the hardest thing of all?

saying goodbye . . .
letting go . . .
being far from those most precious to me.

Besides myself and God, there are four most amazing people that walked beside me through the fire of this journey and helped me find this moment in time.  They are my inspiration, my joy, my reason, my most brilliant successes.  My love for them helps me find the strength and courage to persist in the face of all adversity . . . to never give up and never surrender.

Paul - my soul mate
Nathan - my gift
Alex - my mirror
Becca - my peace

Through them I have learned how to love fully, deeply and completely . . . and because I do, I must also learn to let go and at times endure the pain of separation . . . of saying goodbye.  It truly is the hardest thing of all.

"It is also good to love because love is difficult. For one human being to love another human being  . . . that perhaps is the most difficult task that has been entrusted to us . . . the ultimate task . . . the final test and proof . . . the work for which all other work is merely preparation." - Rainer Maria Rilke

No comments:

Post a Comment