Saturday, August 6, 2011

"Wherever you go, go with all your heart." - Confucius

Hearts are amazing things.  They can be completely shattered and yet still fully function.  They are the instrument of precious life and yet the recipient of life's most intense pain.  They are accommodating, forgiving, expandable, mend-able.  They can be hard or soft, hot or cold, light or dark, open or closed.  You can give your whole heart away and yet still have it all left to give.

I have arrived now at the eve of my departure from Roatan, Honduras and am experiencing the familiar ache of a breaking heart.  I can't imagine leaving my home here, my new family and friends, my work, my passions . . . tears are flowing hot and free.  How incredible it is that in the same instant this very heart is bursting with joy and anticipation of returning to my American home, to the family I have missed so dearly, to my friends, my work, my passions.  I know this dichotomy of emotions results from embracing and employing the above philosopher's suggestion.  I have gone, am going, and will strive to always go wherever I go with all my heart.

Hearts are not meant to be caged, or tethered, or suppressed, or closed.  Hearts are muscles that grow stronger and more resilient the more they are challenged.  My successes here in Roatan have shown me just how much my heart has grown and benefited from the physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual challenges of the last four years.  In my darkest hours I chose hope and because I did now anything is possible.  My heart is not only strong . . . it is also free.

In the days and weeks ahead I will write about the amazing people I met and experiences I had while on this journey . . . all unbelievably precious gifts I will carry tenderly in my heart until I return again to my island home.

"Where your treasure is, there shall your heart be also."  - Matthew 6:21

My heart is well traveled and I am rich beyond compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment